Rex Stout has been translated and published in most major languages in the world.
In 1972 the count of Nero Wolfe books published in foreign languages was 25: view Rex Stout's own typed list of foreign printings of Wolfe.
Cover scans of foreign printings, most of which have been sent to us by fans, are located on the page of the original American title. Thus, the cover art page for And Be A Villain contains images for a variety of foreign printings, including the British title, More Deaths than One.
- The pages listing the titles of the U.S. printings in Alphabetic and Chronological have links to each book's page featuring covers scans, synopsis, year of publication, alternate printings and, sometimes, alternate titles. Except as noted below, cover scans of foreign printings are on that title's page of scanned cover art.
- To view a listing of German titles and their English translation, click here. (Thank you Christian Hofmann.)
- To view a wide array of cover art from German printings, visit Amazon's German site.
- Finnish titles with English translations and publication date are listed here: http://www.kopteri.net/koti/kilahti/nero.html or view a PDF of the information.
- Jean-Marc Lofficier presents cover scans from the French printings (from Fayard) of twenty one of the Wolfe books. In addition, there is the history of Fayard's printings and cover scans from their printing of The Toff series. (PDF version also available.)
Russian Printings of Two Wolfe Books
From a Wolfe Pack Discussion Group:
Translations of some French titles
Ici, Radio New-York = And Be a Villain
Un Roman a Tue = Murder by the Book
Ca Arrive Dans les Meilleurs Familles = In the Best Families
Trois Femmes et un Homme = Prisoner's Base
La Voix du Mort = The Silent Speaker
Double Piege = Not Quite Dead Enough
Les Compagnons de la Peur = The League of Frightened Men
La Cassette Rouge = The Red Box
Dans la Plus Stricte Intimite = contains "Omit Flowers" from Three Doors to Death and "Instead of Evidence" from Trouble in Triplicate.
The French version turns the two separate stories into one continuous whole.
FOR YOUR AMUSEMENT: The probable literal translation of some French titles:
1. ICI, RADIO NEW-YORK
Welcome to the Howard Stern Show, or icky NY radio
2. LES COMPAGNONS DE LA PEUR = The Mushrooms of the Poor
3. LA CASSETTE ROUGE = The Red-Tape Player
4. DOUBLE PIEGE = Two Pages (of Trouble)
5. LA VOIX DU MORT = The Devil Made Me Say It
6. LA SECONDE CONFESSION = (If I Told You Once,) I've Told You Twice
7. CA ARRIVE DANS LES MEILLEURES FAMILLES = That Darn Dan Arrived with the Miller's Family
8. UN ROMAN A TUE = If This Is Rome, It Must Be Tuesday
9. TROIS FEMME ET UN HOMME = The distaff version of "Three Men and a Baby"
10. DANS LA PLUS STRICTE INTIMITE = Strictly Intimate but only with Dan