Click here to jump to the slide show section
Click a presentation icon to read the presentation
Click an audio icon to listen to a presentation
Click an image (below) of a program to read the detailed program with menus, etc.
Friday, December 5, 2014 — Book Discussion & Media Event
THE MOTHER HUNT
6:00 to 10:00 PM
(just south of Gramercy Park)
Dinner and book discussion of The Mother Hunt, accompanied by a showing of the international version, with missing minutes and "letterbox" size screen, of the A&E Television production.
Saturday, December 6, 2014—Black Orchid Assembly
2:00 to 4:30 PM
141 West 38th Street
See Assembly Program
Peter Crupe, Member, The Wolfe Pack—"Rex Stout and the Baker Street Irregulars"
Ira Brad Matetsky, Werowance, The Wolfe Pack—"Rex Stout in the Archives"
Jim Picinich, New-York Historical Society—"Nero Wolfe's Gotham: NYC in the 30's & 40's"
Saturday, December 6, 2014 — Black Orchid Happy Hour
4:30 to 6:45 PM
with scrumptious appetizers
Saturday, December 6, 2014—Black Orchid Banquet
6:45 to 9:30 PM
- Keynote Speaker Stephen Schwartz is an award-winning musical theatre lyricist and composer (e.g., Pippin, Godspell, Wikced to name a few). Mr. Schwartz spoke of his 'affection and appreciation of Wolfe' and Rex Stout....
- A meal inspired by the Wolfe Corpus, with wines -- click the image of the banquet program (Cover of MapBack Edition of SOME BURIED CAESAR) to the right to read the full menu and program.
- The annual Nero Award presentation to the author of the best American mystery novel. 2013 winner is Murder as a Fine Art by David Morrell.
- The Black Orchid Novella Award bestowed upon the author selected by Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Magazine for an original unpublished work of fiction that conforms to the tradition of the Nero Wolfe series and the Novella style for which Mr. Stout is famous. 2014 winner is K.B. McAbee for "“Dyed to Death”."
- Yet another devilishly difficult quiz (click here to try the quiz yourself)
- The usual toasts, songs, and frivolity (published in the next issue of The Gazette).
- And for the attendees:
- Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Magazine for July/August 2014 with last year's Black Orchid Novella Award winner's story, "The Discarded Spouse" by Susan Thibadeau
- A copy of the Nero Award winning book, Murder as a Fine Art by David Morrell
- A commemorative gift, a bookmark honoring Lily Rowan, as depicted in the image below: